Currently, it is necessary for new commercial vehicles to meet the Euro VI standards, which deal with restrictions regarding fuel consumption. For this reason, all vehicle components that affect fuel consumption directly must achieve a performance as optimal as possible. These components include the fan clutch of the cooling system..
For the last years, the Engineering Department of the division of Cooling Systems has developed new models of viscous clutches that successfully meet all requirements imposed by the new standards.
Among the improvements in design present in these new viscous clutches, compared with previous models, the following features can be highlighted:
- A new clutch format able to transmit higher torque that adapts to fans with greater aerodynamic load, which are commonly used in vehicles that require higher cooling capacity.
- Faster fan activation and deactivation times, resulting into an effective response to changes in the cooling conditions of the vehicle.
- Deactivation of the fan in vehicle cold starts, avoiding excessive cooling of the engine and therefore reducing the vehicle fuel consumption.
- Improved fan speed regulation, ensuring an optimal cooling depending on the real needs of the vehicle at any time.
- Larger heat removal area in the clutch frame, which allows the clutch not to be overheated, ensuring the stability of all elements that form part of it and prolonging the useful life of the clutch.